Effective Fall 2003, Computer Science majors are required to take one of the following course/lab combinations from GE Segment II Category B, Biological Sciences:
- BIOL 100/101 Human Biology with Lab (3 + 1 units)
- BIOL 210/211 General Microbiology and Public Health with Lab (3 + 1 units)
- BIOL 230 Introductory Biology I (5 units)
If a student prefers to fulfill this requirement not with coursework from SFSU, they have several options:
- Take the AP Biology exam and get a score of 4 or 5; Biology accepts this as equivalent to BIOL 230 (no other documentation is required)
- Take a course or courses at another institution that is clearly documented on www.assist.org as being equivalent to one of the biology course combinations listed above
If a student takes a Biology course at another institution, and that course is not clearly articulated on www.assist.org as being equivalent to BIOL 100/101, BIOL 210/211, or BIOL 230, the student will have to make an appointment with a CS transfer advisor and bring a copy of her/his transcripts to the appointment.
The transfer advisor will fill out a course equivalency form requesting verification from Biology and attach the student's transcripts.
Either the advisor or the student will submit the documents directly to the Biology office (HH 534). There is no need for the student to meet personally with a Biology advisor.
The student can pick up the form after verification is completed.