It is important and beneficial to take the opportunity to schedule timely advising for assistance and achieving success. Students should plan their program of study in the major with the help of a departmental advisor as soon as possible in order that the correct sequence of courses is taken and a proper set of electives is chosen. Students are advised that CR/NC grades are not acceptable in courses to be counted for the Computer Science major or minor programs. It is also suggested that students consult with an advisor before selecting courses to meet the General Education requirements. The Ongoing Advisors listed below can assist with signing graduation applications.
Check out an Advisor during their available advising sessions:
|(415) 405-0787||Thornton Hall 949||
Monday: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
|(415) 338-6412||Science Building 246||
Tuesday: 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Shah Rukh Humayoun
|(415) 338-2858||Thornton Hall 967||
Thursday: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
|(415) 338-2853||Thornton Hall 907||For advising hours, please schedule an appointment through email.|
Isabel Hyo Jung Song
|(415) 338-7688||Thornton Hall 909||
Tuesday: 8:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Transfer students are strongly encouraged to get advising before starting at SF State. Here are some advising tips:
1. For your appointment with your advisor, please bring the following documents (if available, online documents are ok):
List of all major related courses with course title, semester taken, college taken at, and grades obtained.
If possible, please bring course descriptions, syllabus, text book title, and any other related course materials.
2. For evaluating upper division CS courses, you may have to meet with individual CS instructors.
3. For evaluating Mathematics, Physics and Biology courses, you may have to meet with faculty in those departments.
Computer Science majors are required to take one of the following course/lab combinations from GE Segment II Category B, Biological Sciences:
- BIOL 100/101 Human Biology with Lab (3 + 1 units)
- BIOL 210/211 General Microbiology and Public Health with Lab (3 + 1 units)
- BIOL 230 Introductory Biology I (5 units)
If a student prefers to fulfill this requirement not with coursework from SFSU, they have several options:
- Take the AP Biology exam and get a score of 4 or 5; Biology accepts this as equivalent to BIOL 230 (no other documentation is required)
- Take a course or courses at another institution that is clearly documented on www.assist.org as being equivalent to one of the biology course combinations listed above.
The transfer advisor will fill out a course equivalency form to request verification from Biology and attach the student's transcripts.
Either the advisor or the student will submit the documents directly to the Biology office (HH 534).
There is no need for the student to meet personally with a Biology advisor.
The student can pick up the form after verification is completed.
|(415) 405-2636||Thornton Hall 969||
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Monday: 1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
Wednesday: 1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
|(415) 338-2335||Thornton Hall 910||
Tuesday: 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.